TriLibrium is a Portland, Oregon based CPA firm founded by Brian Setzler in 2008. TriLibrium was designed to break the mold of a standard Certified Public Accounting firm through innovations like our triple bottom line focus, B Corp certification, and fixed prices rather than hourly billing.
You notice the difference immediately in our name: TriLibrium is a synthesis of triple bottom line and equilibrium. “Triple bottom line” captures our commitment to the mutually supportive values—people, planet, profit—that distinguish a sustainable business. “Equilibrium” refers to our commitment to establish balance among the three bottom lines in all that we do for our clients and as a firm. (As CPAs, we appreciate things that balance!)
Inherent in our name is the promise of a different relationship than you’ve experienced with other accounting firms. Honest relationships define TriLibrium. You don’t treat your business, organization or life as a numbers game - and neither will we. In a triple-bottom-line world, numbers rarely tell the whole story or serve as an adequate guide for making decisions or measuring performance.
The human and environmental are as vital as the financial. That’s something other CPA firms don’t get. At TriLibrium, we not only get it, we demonstrate our understanding in every relationship. That’s what we mean by honest
Like our clients, we’re committed to a sustainable future and it is that kind of dedication that led TriLibrium to become the first CPA firm in the nation to become a certified B Corporation.
Today, we use our experience, skills, education and passion to serve our clients and community, advance ecological restoration and “raise the bar” for the entire accounting profession.
Our vision is to create a CPA firm that provides exceptional professional services while staying true to our mission, the tenets of sustainability and the practices of a learning organization. We’re taking numerous steps, large and small, to challenge the status quo behavior of most CPA firms, including:
- Reducing paper consumption to a small fraction of a typical CPA practice
- Reducing and then offsetting our greenhouse gas emissions to be a carbon neutral business
- Recycling as much as possible in our municipality
- Composting food waste
- Sourcing local, recycled, energy-efficient and non-toxic products and services whenever possible
- Actively encouraging bike riding and other low footprint forms of travel (public transit over individual car travel)
- Reduced fees for non-profits, cooperatives, and certified B Corps.
- Offering internships and mentoring services to college and high school students
- Making contributions to community groups
- …all while having a good time as we work, learn and grow
Experience the personal attention and quality support TriLibrium has come to be known for in the Portland, OR area. Contact us today at 503-546-2050 to set up an appointment for a free consultation.
Brian C. Setzler, MBA, CPA
Brian has been a licensed CPA in Oregon since 1989 and is a member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants. He holds a BA in Business Administration (Cum Laude) from Washington State University with an emphasis in accounting, and an MBA in Sustainable Business from the Bainbridge Graduate Institute. As a professional committed to continuing education, Brian has completed over 1,000 hours of continuing professional education on subjects like tax, law, management, strategic planning, and systems.
Brian has over 25 years of business experience in public accounting, consulting, teaching and private industry. His experience includes Big 5 audit and consulting work as well as a significant amount of both corporate and individual tax planning and preparation. Past titles for Brian include Controller and CEO. Brian enjoys helping clients with business strategies and complex problems. Brian holds insurance licenses and has passed the Series 7 and Series 66 exams. He formerly served as Associate Faculty at the Bainbridge Graduate Institute where he taught finance & accounting to MBA-level graduate students. He is an instructor to other CPAs on the subjects of sustainability, accounting and advising startup businesses.
Brian consults to local, socially responsible, and sustainable business organizations and those that aspire to be greener. Nationally, he serves on the AICPA Assurance Services Executive Committee Sustainability Task Force, and locally, is a member of the Portland State University Business Outreach Program Advisory Board. Brian is an activist at heart and volunteers for numerous community organizations. Brian has a daughter at Oregon State University and resides in downtown Portland.
Our Social Justice Mission
As a Triple Bottom Line Accounting Firm located in Portland, Oregon, we are guided by the values of sustainability and embrace both ecological and social responsibilities to the communities we serve.
We demonstrate this by:
- Donate 1% of our gross revenue to groups promoting peace and sustainability
- Direct donations to non-profit organizations and community groups
- Employee time off to volunteer
- Pro bono work for community organizations
- Reduced rates for nonprofit organizations
- Internships, job shadows and mentoring for local area students
- Teaching and promoting sustainable business practices to others
- Banking locally
- Extensive training and development for our employees
- Company paid Health and Dental insurance for full-time employees
- Generous vacation and sick-leave policy